We are currently looking for a full-time Game Designer- Systems to work on our exciting new and ongoing projects. This design position is responsible for creating and maintaining fun and balanced combat and non-combat gameplay. Combat systems focus on the direct combat abilities, items, NPCs and Boss monsters. Non-combat systems focus on other features such as crafting, rewards, guilds, or similar systems. Both require an understanding of the quantitative (e.g. numerical values, and tool proficiency) and qualitative (e.g. effect on balance, interaction with other systems, gameplay and fun) factors that affect the overall gameplay experience. This position will not be responsible for building the missions, zones, maps or story, although a familiarity with such content development is a plus as you would be interacting with these teams directly.
This position requires previous game design experience.
We actively balance our work with the personal lives of our employees. We only hire the best and most talented people who love the work, the genre and the game.
Every day you could be:
- Designing and planning combat and non-combat related systems and features that realize the vision of the executive producer and lead designer.
- Balancing variables to create a gameplay experience that is fun for diverse play-styles.
- Implementing data for player abilities, NPCs, items, and non-combat systems using proprietary tools.
- Working directly with other designers, leads and other departments.
- Providing an example of professionalism and excellence to the rest of the team.
What we'd like to see:
- Experience designing combat-related systems such as classes, powers, skills, etc.
- Experience designing, implementing and managing large numbers of game assets such as items, weapons, or monsters.
- Experience architecting and implementing large complex systems such as crafting, talent trees, guild systems or algorithmically generated assets
- Experience with scripting and/or data implementation.
- 2+ years of industry experience.
- Experience collaborating with others across disciplines.
- Experience in conflict resolution.
- Credit on at least one previous shipped game title with a strong systems focus.
- Quantitative study of game systems.
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in Excel.
- Veteran game player.
- MMO and/or RPG experience as player or designer.
- Familiarity with Cryptic games.
- 2-year degree required (or equivalent experience in relevant field)
Must be eligible to work in the United States.