Cryptic Studios is looking for an experienced Art Director to lead the ongoing artistic voyage of our highly successful PC and console MMORPG, Star Trek Online.
As the leader of a talented and passionate art team at Cryptic, you’ll work with concept, character, ships, environment, animation, VFX and UI artists to continually reinforce, evangelize and drive the art style and visual storytelling of the project.
The ideal candidate has an impeccable eye for aesthetic quality, excellent visual and verbal communication skills as well as a deep, hands-on understanding of current gen game development.
What you’ll be doing:
- Reinforcing and refining a unified artistic style, vision and quality standards for all visual elements of the game
- Providing clear, concise, consistent and timely visual direction, guidance and feedback across all aspects of art development
- Developing style guides and reference materials for new content to provide the team and/or IP partners as needed
- Collaborating with artists, designers and engineers to create amazing gameplay experiences
- Partnering with production to build, evaluate and revise art schedules and manage art initiatives
- Supporting, mentoring and inspiring the art team to realize overall goals and deliver a successful content updates and expansions on time
What we’d like to see:
- 3+ years full cycle console or PC game development experience on products demonstrating a high visual bar, with one or more shipped titles as Art Director
- Broad experience across real time art disciplines including concept, character, animation, environment, VFX, lighting and shading
- Strong creative vision, with an excellent eye for artistic quality and knowledge of techniques and technologies used to achieve specific visual targets
- Demonstrated ability to work in a broad range of styles, within technical constraints, using proprietary systems and tools
- Solid understanding of fundamental design elements, color theory, anatomy, drawing and painting
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills with a collaborative, team player attitude
- Calm, positive and professional attitude while working under multiple deadlines
- Ability to articulate complex visual ideas with clarity and conviction
- BA or BS degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with established brands and IP holders
- Strong hands-on abilities in traditional art, drawing, painting, illustration and/or concept art
- High level of proficiency with 2D and 3D game development tools including, but not limited to: 3ds Max, Zbrush, Maya, Photoshop, Substance, etc.
- Willingness to learn, evaluate and evangelize appropriate usage of new software, tools and technologies
- Experience working successfully with one or more outsource partners as an integral and visually consistent part of the project pipeline
- Avid gamer on multiple platforms
- Familiarity with, and passion for the Star Trek franchise
Required application materials:
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating relevant art direction and/or artistic skills
- An art test and/or additional artistic sample material may be required