Cryptic Studios is an industry leader in the development of free-to-play massively multiplayer role-playing games on PC and console including Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter. We bring these popular properties to life with innovative gameplay mechanics, gorgeous graphics, and impressive sound to create an engaging and immersive player experience.
We have adopted a flexible work policy that allows options for onsite work in our Los Gatos, CA studio or fully remotely from anywhere throughout the US. Come and join us!
Cryptic Studios is currently seeking a Core Software Engineer. The creation and operation of massive multiplayer online games requires a wide range of innovative technologies. As a Core Software Engineer, you can help define and drive improved workflows and engine features for Cryptic’s game development teams.
Every day you could be:
- Collaborating with world-class artists, designers, and engineers to build game systems and powerful tools for the creation of fantastic virtual worlds and gameplay.
- Extending systems to meet the ever-changing needs of a massively multiplayer online game.
- Upgrading our workflows to improve team productivity and enhance content for customers.
- Analyzing performance of key systems and refactoring or re-implementing them to perform and scale better under load.
- Working in a custom, state of the art, client-server game engine and tool suite.
- Researching and introducing new technologies to all engineers and management.
Systems you might work on
- Core components of Cryptic's game client/server architecture, including simulation technologies (AI, cloth, movement, physics), and audio/visual technologies (animation, audio, visual effects).
- The many in-engine tools used to build content for our games.
- Integration with platforms such as Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Steam, and Epic.
- Internal improvements to keep up with the latest software development tools
Graphics team support
What we need to see:
- 5+ years of experience programming and debugging.
- 1+ year of professional experience programming and debugging with C/C++.
- Solid understanding of pointers and memory management.
- Working knowledge of asynchronous systems such as multi-threaded or multi-process systems.
- Ability to work comfortably within a large pre-existing code base
- A passion for delivering great work.
- Clear and concise communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent experience).
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
What we’d like to see:
- Experience in the video game industry and with MMO’s is a huge plus!
- Worked on a team developing software that shipped in a finished product.
- 2+ years of game development experience.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with games.
- Cryptic’s software engineers work almost exclusively in a high performance, cross-platform C/C++ code base. In addition to problem solving skills, this job requires a high degree of proficiency with pointers and memory management and the interview process will test for these skills. (Java and C# are not utilized in this job.)
What Cryptic Offers
- Remote Work Options - Anywhere Within The US
- A fun tight-knit team where your contributions will have a major impact
- Full-Time role
- Paid Holiday, Sick Time & Paid Time off
- Health Insurance & Perks: Medical, Dental, Vision
- Company social events
- Pet-Friendly Environment
At Cryptic Studios, Inc. the standard base pay range for this role is $115,000 - $160,000 annually. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Cryptic Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, marital status, age, national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under California Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, genetic information, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), sexual orientation, or any other protected class, characteristic, or consideration made unlawful under applicable federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.