Cryptic Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of Perfect World Entertainment, sets a new standard for massively multiplayer online role playing games. Our company has a track record for creating critically-acclaimed and highly-entertaining free-to-play games that appeal to a wide variety of audiences Located in Northern California in Silicon Valley, we offer the fun, focused and casual atmosphere of a mid-size MMORPG developer. We actively balance our work with the personal lives of our employees. Join the mission! At Cryptic we aim for greatness. We hire amazing talent and empower them to grow into their full potential.
Cryptic Studios is looking for a talented Outsource Integration Artist with a genuine passion for games! Working closely with the Art Outsource Manager, other Outsource Integration Artists, and various internal art team stakeholders, the Outsource Integration Artist acts as the final gate for the quality of external art. This is a technically oriented art position that requires a combination of aesthetic sensibilities, a high degree of technical knowledge and hands-on art production experience.
The ideal candidate is comfortable prioritizing their tasks and assignments and providing clear, concise, and actionable artistic and technical feedback in both written and visual formats. The candidate should be able to create paint-overs, fix and polish 3D content (sculpts, models, skinning etc.), adjust or author textures and materials, and simultaneously work with multiple files to integrate assets for any of Cryptic’s MMORPG video games utilizing our proprietary engine and tools.
Every day you could be:
- Working with the Art Outsourcing Manager, other Outsource Integration Artists, and various internal and external team members to review art submissions from our external partners, providing feedback for the reviewed art submissions, and polishing and integrating approved outsourced art assets into the game engine.
- Tracking progress and communicating status of outsourced assets to the Art Outsource Manager and any applicable internal team members
- Creating spec documentation for previous, current, and/or new processes to share with our external partners
- Upholding and growing the quality, skills, and abilities of our vendors
- Ensuring the consistency and quality of vendor created assets
- Running through existing pipelines and process for art generation to ensure that best practices are met or, if need be, redefined
- Sharing and pursuing new process, pipelines, and methodologies to elevate the art production and outsourcing experiences within the studio
What we would like to see:
- Experience in game art creation with an emphasis on real-time, bipedal characters, armors, fashions, and hair (including skinning)
- A working knowledge of industry tools like 3ds Max, Maya, ZBrush, Substance Designer/Painter and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs)
- Strong understanding of material creation and current gen texture/material pipelines
- Basic skinning/weighting experience
- Detail-oriented technical aptitude and strong problem solving abilities
- Highly organized, self-motivated, excellent communicator with a positive, team-player attitude
- Ability to balance and prioritize deadlines and resources with aesthetic and technical asset requirements
- BA or BS degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience
- Experience working as any one or more of the following: 3D character, environment/prop, vehicle, weapon, creature artist or animator
- Experience working with modular or technical asset systems
- A history of working with, or as, an outsourcing partner
- Practical skills working with art assets, processes and pipelines in an ongoing, live production environment
- Foundational skills in traditional art, sculpture, drawing, painting, illustration and/or concept art
- Passion for the Star Trek, Dungeons & Dragons and/or Magic: The Gathering franchises, MMORPGS, and/or table-top games
Required application materials:
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating relevant skills
- An art test may be required