Cryptic Studios is seeking a talented UI Artist to collaborate in the design and creation of the user interface for our highly successful PC and console MMORPG, Star Trek Online.
You’re that artist whose deep understanding of UX and passion for design aesthetics just won’t let you settle for anything less than the best.
You take equal pride in every pixel of your work, and every moment of the player’s experience. You’ll work closely with design, engineering and other artists to envision, refine and perfect the look, feel and functionality of gameplay systems across our game universes.
What you’ll be doing:
- Creating visual concepts, wireframes and prototype pitches for game UI features, interfaces and iconography
- Working closely with the Art Director and Concept teams to establish a compelling and cohesive look for interfaces and game branding
- Collaborating with Design, Engineering and other developers to brainstorm, conceptualize, create, implement and iterate until complex systems are represented with UI that feels natural and obvious
- Managing visual designs and styles for multiple features across the breadth of the game and delivering final window kit graphics and icon assets
What we'd like to see:
- 3+ years’ experience creating user interfaces, titles and menus for games, film, or web
- Exceptional graphic design skills, including a solid understanding of color, composition, space and typography
- Ability to create both static and dynamic animated UI systems with a solid understanding of basic animation principles
- Strong game design sensibilities and ability to create heads-up displays, menus and interfaces that reflect gameplay needs
- Deep knowledge of game UI/UX and understanding of current UI practices in PC and console games
- Expert knowledge of visual design software like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Ability and willingness to learn proprietary and consumer user interface tools
- Excellent communication skills and a positive, professional attitude while working under multiple deadlines
- BA or BS degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience
- Experience with scripting and/or programming languages (Python, Lua, C++, C#, etc.)
- Solid foundation in traditional art, drawing, painting, illustration and/or concept art
- Avid gamer on multiple platforms
- Familiarity with, and passion for the Star Trek franchise
Required Application Materials:
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating relevant technical and/or artistic skills
- An art test and/or additional UI/UX sample materials may be required