Cryptic Studios is seeking a full-time Sound Designer. We need someone who can oversee all audio requirements for our upcoming games at the highest level of quality and create original and compelling soundscapes. If you can compose in your sleep and come up with brilliant ideas for original content, this may be the job for you! Located in Northern California in Los Gatos, Cryptic offers the fun, focused and casual atmosphere of an independent developer. We work hard, we play hard, and we always balance the demands of the job with the personal lives of our employees. We are committed to breaking new ground in gaming and we only hire the best and most talented people who love the work, the genre and the game. If you're looking for a position where you can help shape the future of MMORPGs, apply today!
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing, creating, editing and mixing original audio content in accordance with each game project's design goals.
- Establishing a unique audio vision and strategic plan for each title.
- Completing all project requirements at the highest level of quality, overseeing all audio and music production with minimal direction.
- Organizing and managing time, and tracking and coordinating asset lists, tasks, schedules, budgets and external contract work as required.
- Working closely with programming, production, design and art staff to help create, maintain and optimize audio pipelines and integration processes.
- Organizing and carrying out location sound recordings when necessary.
- Working closely with Cryptic's Director of Audio to assist in the growth and development of the department.
- Evaluating new software/hardware/games and determining what ideas or processes Cryptic can leverage. Keeping up with competitive products and upcoming releases.
- Maintaining audio and computer equipment, in-house SFX libraries, etc.
- Assisting with localization needs for each project.
What you’ll need to work here:
- Involvement in a minimum of two complete project cycles as a professional sound designer in the industry. A proven track record with AAA console or PC titles is preferred.
- Strong creative and technical sound design skills.
- A keen ear for well-performed and implemented in-context dynamic SFX, voice and music.
- A high degree of proficiency with professional audio software and hardware.
- Knowledge of surround mixing techniques. * Experience working with game audio engines, tools and middleware (FMOD, Wwise, etc.). Ability to quickly learn and adapt to proprietary software and project pipelines for audio integration.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands and follow through on details.
- A passion for games and for creating the best audio in the industry, and the ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically from an audio perspective.
- College degree or four years’ equivalent game or broadcast audio industry experience is recommended.
What we'd like to see:
- Strong music composition skills.
- Experience with audio programming.
- Experience building and maintaining original SFX and sample libraries.
- Managerial experience.
- Ability and willingness to learn proprietary and consumer user interface tools
- Excellent communication skills and a positive, professional attitude while working under multiple deadlines
- BA or BS degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience
- Experience with scripting or programming languages (C, C++, etc.)
- Avid gamer on multiple platforms
- Familiarity with, and passion for Cryptic Studios’ IP’s
Required Application Materials:
Resume Applicants should submit samples of their audio work. Include a written description of each sample, identifying in detail your contribution. Actual gameplay footage and/or fully-scored CG or film/video cinematics are preferred. Any supplemental materials demonstrating skills relevant to this position (music, non-game audio production and sound design, etc.) are also welcome.
What Cryptic Offers:
- A fun tight-knit team
- Full-Time role
- Paid Holiday, Sick Time & Paid Time off
- Health Insurance & Perks
- Company social events
Cryptic Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, marital status, age, national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under California Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, genetic information, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), sexual orientation, or any other protected class, characteristic, or consideration made unlawful under applicable federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.