Cryptic Studios is an industry leader in the development of free-to-play massively multiplayer role-playing games on PC and console including Star Trek Online, Neverwinter and Magic the Gathering: Legends. We bring these popular properties to life with innovative gameplay mechanics, gorgeous graphics, and impressive sound to create an engaging and immersive player experience. Come and join us!
Cryptic Studios is currently looking for a Lead Software Engineer for one of our game development teams. The Lead Software Engineer is responsible for managing a small team of engineers in supporting the ongoing development of game play features as well as supporting the game operationally.
Every day you could be
- Leading a team of very talented software engineers to architect and build exceptional game play systems.
- Collaborating with other engineering leads on other games and on the game engine itself to drive the code base forward and ensure proper integration and performance of all systems.
- Supporting and working with multiple departments, including Modelling, Animation, Lighting, and the design team.
- Working as an implementer to design unique game play systems that give each title its own feel.
- Verifying that software engineering process follows studio policies and guidelines including coding standards, code reviews, and documentation.
- Researching and introducing new technologies to all employees and management.
What we need to see
- The ability to clearly and concisely communicate both in writing and verbally.
- 7 years of experience in C programming and debugging.
- Ability to take a large existing code base to understand its inner workings and make improvements.
- A passion for delivering great work.
- Strong leadership skills, preferably with 3+ years of experience in a management role.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent experience).
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
What we’d like to see
- The ability to read assembly language when using debugging tools.
- Experience in the video game industry is a huge plus!
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with games.
- Passion for gaming / MMO games
Cryptic’s software engineers work almost exclusively in a high performance, cross-platform C/C++ code base. In addition to problem solving skills, this job requires a high degree of proficiency with pointers, memory management, and performance optimization. The interview process will be testing you for these skills. Java, C# and other high-level languages will not be utilized in this job.
What Cryptic Offers:
- A fun tight-knit team
- Full-Time role
- Paid Holiday, Sick Time & Paid Time off
- Health Insurance & Perks
- Company social events
Cryptic Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, marital status, age, national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under California Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, genetic information, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), sexual orientation, or any other protected class, characteristic, or consideration made unlawful under applicable federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.