Art Director, Neverwinter
Cryptic Studios is looking for a talented Art Director to help guide and build new content for Neverwinter, our highly successful Dungeons & Dragons MMORPG!
As the leader of a talented and passionate art team at Cryptic, you’ll work with concept, character, environment, animation, VFX and UI artists to continually reinforce, evangelize and drive the art and visual storytelling of the project. The ideal candidate has an impeccable eye for aesthetic quality, excellent visual and verbal communication skills as well as a deep, hands-on understanding of current gen game development.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading, managing, mentoring and inspiring a talented team of artists
- Reinforcing and refining a unified artistic style, vision and quality standards for all visual elements of the game
- Providing clear, concise, consistent and timely visual direction, guidance and feedback across all aspects of art development
- Collaborating with artists, designers and engineers to create amazing gameplay experiences
- Developing style guides and reference materials for new content to provide the team and/or IP partners as needed
- Partnering with production to build, evaluate and revise art schedules and manage art initiatives to deliver successful content updates and expansions on time
- Communicating frequently with IP partners to ensure visual alignment and approval of game assets, marketing materials, etc.
What we’d like to see:
- 5+ years full cycle console or PC game development experience on products demonstrating a high visual bar, with one or more shipped titles as Art Director
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills with a collaborative, team player attitude
- Proven ability to build and manage teams, assess performance, provide leadership and creatively solve problems
- Strong creative vision, with an excellent eye for artistic quality and knowledge of techniques and technologies used to achieve specific visual targets
- Broad experience working with real time art disciplines including concept, character, animation, environment, VFX, lighting and shading
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully within technical/performance constraints, using proprietary systems and tools
- Solid understanding of fundamental design elements, color theory, anatomy, drawing and painting
- Ability to clearly verbally and visually articulate aesthetic ideas, techniques and processes to a diverse team
- Positive and professional attitude while working under multiple deadlines
- Bachelor's of Arts Degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with established brands and IP holders
- Strong hands-on abilities in traditional art, drawing, painting, illustration and/or concept art
- High level of proficiency with 2D and 3D game development tools including, but not limited to: 3ds Max, Zbrush, Maya, Photoshop, Substance, etc.
- Willingness to learn, evaluate and evangelize appropriate usage of new software, tools and technologies
- Experience working successfully with one or more outsource partners as an integral and visually consistent part of the project pipeline
- Avid gamer on multiple platforms
- Passion for Dungeons & Dragons preferred
Required application materials:
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating relevant art direction and/or artistic skills
What Cryptic Offers:
- Remote Work Options - Anywhere Within The US
- A fun tight-knit team
- Full-Time role
- Paid Holiday, Sick Time & Paid Time off
- Health Insurance & Perks
- Company social events
- Pet-Friendly Environment
Cryptic Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, marital status, age, national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under California Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, genetic information, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), sexual orientation, or any other protected class, characteristic, or consideration made unlawful under applicable federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.