Cryptic Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of Perfect World Entertainment, sets a new standard for massively multiplayer online role playing games. Our company has a track record for creating critically-acclaimed and highly-entertaining free-to-play games that appeal to a wide variety of audiences Located in Northern California in Silicon Valley, we offer the fun, focused and casual atmosphere of a mid-size MMORPG developer. We actively balance our work with the personal lives of our employees. Join the mission! At Cryptic we aim for greatness. We hire amazing talent and empower them to grow into their full potential.
Cryptic Studios is looking for an enthusiastic, talented and versatile Technical Artist to join the Magic the Gathering MMO team. With a unique combination of artistic and technical expertise, you will be the bridge between artists and engineers who ensures an efficient art pipeline and optimized game.
EVERY DAY YOU COULD BE:
- Helping shape, develop and evolve Cryptic’s art pipelines, including our proprietary tools, software, plug-ins and game technology
- Writing custom scripts and tools with programming languages (Python, Mel, MaxScript, C++, C#, etc.)
- Working closely with the art director, artists and engineers to carry out the technical and aesthetic vision for the game
- Ensuring that the art toolset is user-friendly, performant and serves the project’s creative needs
- Identifying potential and recurring workflow and performance problems and collaborating with other developers to create viable solutions
- Maintaining overall performance/memory budgets and ensuring that the art team adheres to them
- Creating and maintaining documentation and reference materials for tools, conventions and procedures
- Advancing art quality through the research and development of improved content creation tools and methods
WHAT WE’D LIKE TO SEE:
- 3+ years console or PC game development experience on products demonstrating a high visual bar, with one or more shipped titles in a technical role
- Extensive experience working with latest game engines such as Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.
- High level of proficiency with 2D and 3D art development tools including, but not limited to: 3ds Max, Maya, ZBrush, Substance Designer/Painter, Photoshop, etc.
- Technical experience across multiple art disciplines including character, animation, environment, VFX, lighting, shading and PBR material creation
- Demonstrated ability to work in a broad range of non-realistic styles and broad knowledge of current gen techniques and technologies used to achieve specific visual targets
- Excellent problem-solving skills and debugging abilities
- Ability to articulate complex visual and technical ideas with clarity and conviction
- Positive, collaborative and professional attitude while working under multiple deadlines
- BA or BS degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience
- Understanding of DirectX, Direct3D and OpenGL rendering technologies.
- Basic understanding of HLSL and GLSL
- Working knowledge of rigging, skinning and character technical setup.
- Understanding of particle systems, cloth simulation and dynamics.
- Experience with lip sync setup
- Strong hands-on abilities in art or animation
- Avid gamer on multiple platforms
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating relevant technical and/or artistic skills
- An art test and/or additional artistic sample materials may be required