Cryptic Studios is looking for an enthusiastic, talented and versatile Technical Artist to join the Magic the Gathering MMO team. With a unique combination of artistic and technical expertise, you will be the bridge between artists and engineers who ensures an efficient art pipeline and optimized game.
EVERY DAY YOU COULD BE:
- Helping shape, develop and evolve Cryptic’s art pipelines, including our proprietary tools, software, plug-ins and game technology
- Writing custom scripts and tools with programming languages (Python, Mel, MaxScript, C++, C#, etc.)
- Working closely with the art director, artists and engineers to carry out the technical and aesthetic vision for the game
- Ensuring that the art toolset is user-friendly, performant and serves the project’s creative needs
- Identifying potential and recurring workflow and performance problems and collaborating with other developers to create viable solutions
- Maintaining overall performance/memory budgets and ensuring that the art team adheres to them
- Creating and maintaining documentation and reference materials for tools, conventions and procedures
- Advancing art quality through the research and development of improved content creation tools and methods
WHAT WE’D LIKE TO SEE:
- 3+ years console or PC game development experience on products demonstrating a high visual bar, with one or more shipped titles in a technical role
- Extensive experience working with latest game engines such as Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.
- High level of proficiency with 2D and 3D art development tools including, but not limited to: 3ds Max, Maya, ZBrush, Substance Designer/Painter, Photoshop, etc.
- Technical experience across multiple art disciplines including character, animation, environment, VFX, lighting, shading and PBR material creation
- Demonstrated ability to work in a broad range of non-realistic styles and broad knowledge of current gen techniques and technologies used to achieve specific visual targets
- Excellent problem-solving skills and debugging abilities
- Ability to articulate complex visual and technical ideas with clarity and conviction
- Positive, collaborative and professional attitude while working under multiple deadlines
- BA or BS degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience
- Understanding of DirectX, Direct3D and OpenGL rendering technologies.
- Basic understanding of HLSL and GLSL
- Working knowledge of rigging, skinning and character technical setup.
- Understanding of particle systems, cloth simulation and dynamics.
- Experience with lip sync setup
- Strong hands-on abilities in art or animation
- Avid gamer on multiple platforms
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating relevant technical and/or artistic skills
- An art test and/or additional artistic sample materials may be required
Must have professional gaming experience and shipped at least two titles as a Technical Artist in the past. *Shader creation and Python scripting a must, not looking for a character tech artist. **