Cryptic Studios sets a new standard for Massively Multiplayer Online role playing games, and we strive to give our fans new experiences that knock their socks off. Located in Northern California in Los Gatos, we create the fun, focused and casual atmosphere of a small developer. We actively balance our work with the personal lives of our employees. At Cryptic, everyone’s ideas matter. We only hire the best and most talented people who love the work, the genre, and the game.
Cryptic Studios is currently looking for a Quality Assurance Test Lead. A test lead’s role is to ensure that the project is tested as thoroughly as possible, that all stakeholders are consistently aware of the state of the project, and that the QA team is empowered to complete their tasks efficiently. A successful candidate can communicate effectively, respond to requests with agility, and plan proactively for a pre-launch and post-launch environment. The test lead manages the team’s responsibilities and schedule, as well as collaborating directly with Production and the development team as a whole to identify and flag critical issues before they become challenges to meeting the schedule.
Every day you could be:
- Defining the way a brand-new project builds its testing database, logs issues, develops test suites, hires QA staff, and runs a team from production to launch and beyond.
- Reporting the results of the current testing efforts to project leadership and production
- Driving the development and execution of test suites for new features
- Assisting in the integration and continued improvement of QA processes
- Managing testing estimates, timelines, and tracking progress
- Collaborating with the rest of the development team to track defects, fixes, and feature development
- Monitoring the bug database to spot trends and make sure all issues receive the appropriate attention
- Mentoring tests analysts
- Organizing and participating in focused play-tests
- Coordinating with other teams within Cryptic or at the publisher
- Ensuring that all test and design documentation is up to date and relevant
- Leading a team of Quality Assurance Testers in order to achieve the above
- Manage the testing of a live game across multiple platforms.
What you need to work here:
- End to end leadership experience in game QA, from the inception of a product through launch.
- Effective communication abilities, both written and spoken
- An ongoing pursuit of excellence in yourself, the product, and the team
- Understanding of software quality assurance methodologies and processes
- Methodical organizational and documentation skills
- Thorough understanding of the importance of Software QA, and the ability to evangelize process
- Ability to create and iterate on methodical quality assurance processes
- Industry experience in art, design, production, QA or software
Things we’d like to see:
- Passion for gaming; especially, but not limited to, MMORPGs
- Understanding the different requirements for launching in the PC and Console space
- Technical understanding of multiple facets of game and/or software development
- Proficiency in evaluating game experiences and providing detailed feedback
- Prior team leadership experience
- Previous QA experience on an MMO game